Get in touch for your free consultation

020 8541 4111

Party Wall Surveyors Harrow

Simmons Taylor Hall offers expert services in regard to
Party Wall Surveys in Harrow as well as other Neighbourly Matters.

get a quote


Our Chartered Surveyors in Harrow are dedicated to providing the highest quality of expertise and guidance when it comes to neighbouring property agreements – especially those affected by the Party Wall Act 1996. With our knowledge, you can be sure that your party wall agreement in Harrow, is dealt with efficiently, professionally and effectively.

What You'll Need A Party Wall Survey For...

Electricity & Pipework

Rebuilding Walls

Cutting Into The Wall
For Any Work

Removing A
Chimney Breast

Steel Beam

Party Wall Survey
in Harrow

Party Wall surveys in Harrow can be a complex subject for property owners in the area. Understanding the requirements of The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is almost essential to ensure compliance between both parties – even minor repairs and maintenance must be agreed upon. Our expert party wall surveyors in Harrow are ready to help with any party wall dispute that needs managing. 

Before any construction work begins on a property, both the landlord and property neighbor must provide their written consent. This agreement is especially pertinent for projects of significance, such as remodeling or renovations. For Party Wall surveys in Harrow, get in touch with our expert team.

our customers love us

Oliver Boggis
Oliver Boggis
I instructed STH to undertake a party wall award between my company and a neighbour. Nick was prompt, professional and a pleasure to deal with. Many thanks for your help.
Monarfon Holiday Cottage
Monarfon Holiday Cottage
STH prepared specifications and were able to offer expert advise for elements of our repairs and refurbishment.
Brandon Winchester
Brandon Winchester
Couldn't be happier with the service that was provided. For reliability and efficiency, I couldn't have asked for anything more. Strongly recommend!

Some Of Our Recent Projects

Have A Look At Our Past Successes.


As outlined by the Party Wall Act, it is a requirement for you as a property owner in Harrow to serve notice before initiating any construction activities on an existing shared wall or near your property boundary.

Your neighbours should receive a notice if you plan to execute the following:

1). Erecting new walls at or across the boundary line.
2). Conducting work directly on a Party Wall, Party Structure, or Party Fence Wall.
3). Executing excavations within a 3m or 6m radius to a depth that is lower than your neighbour’s foundations or structures.

It’s suggested that you have a conversation with your neighbours prior to issuing the notice. This is because neighbours who feel consulted are less likely to immediately appoint an independent surveyor.

A Party Wall Notice in Harrow is an official notification issued by the ‘Building Owner’, intending to carry out construction work. This notice can be given by the Surveyor of the Building Owner. It offers the ‘Adjoining Owner’ an opportunity to select one of three potential responses: 1. Consent to the Party Wall Notice. In giving consent, the adjoining owner retains the protections facilitated by the Party Wall Act, thereby permitting the building owner to go ahead with the planned construction work without further Awards. In this case, we strongly advocate for a Schedule of Condition to ensure all parties are protected. 2. Dissent and Appoint a Party Wall Surveyor to Act on My Behalf. When the adjoining owner dissents to the Party Wall Notice, they are invoking the formalities and protections stipulated by the Party Wall Act. If they choose to appoint their own Party Wall Surveyor, it necessitates the building owner to also appoint a Party Wall Surveyor. These two appointed Party Wall Surveyors will then follow the procedures and agree upon a Party Wall Award. 3. Dissent and Appoint an Agreed Party Wall Surveyor. This option mirrors the second response to the Party Wall Notice, the only difference being that one Party Wall Surveyor acts impartially on behalf of both parties.
Subject to the complicity of the project, the whole process can take anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 months on average. Notices are normally served at least two months before the planned start of work to the party wall.
The Building Owner will usually pay all reasonable costs associated with a Party Wall Award providing the works are solely for the Building Owner’s benefit.

A Party Wall stands astride the boundary of land belonging to two or more owners and either:
– Forms part of a building
– Separates two or more buildings
– or consists of a ‘party fence wall’
A ‘party fence wall’ is not part of a building but stands astride the boundary between land of different owners and is used to separate the land.
Floors or walls between flats are ‘party structures’.

Failure to observe the Party Wall Act can lead to serious legal consequences, costs, and delays. As a resident of Harrow, if your neighbour embarks on construction work and ignores the Party Wall Act, you have the right to resort to legal actions.

If your neighbour’s disregard of the Party Wall Act causes a dispute between you two, you have the right to bring legal action against them. Courts typically show little tolerance towards any neglect of the statutory responsibilities mandated by the Party Wall Act.

One of the most significant impacts of facing legal action is the financial burden. If a Building Owner has neglected their duties under the Party Wall Act, they are likely to bear all the costs of legal action required to halt the work and resolve the situation. This will likely exceed the cost of abiding by the Party Wall Act itself.

Additionally, the court can issue an injunction to stop any work until the dispute is settled, resulting in significant delays and financial losses. Interim injunctions can be granted quickly, halting the works immediately until the procedure specified in the Party Wall Act is followed.

The process of serving a party wall notice in Harrow involves formally notifying your neighbor(s) about your proposed construction work that may affect a party wall. The notice should be provided in writing and include specific details about the project. It is advisable to consult with a party wall surveyor who can guide you through the proper procedures and ensure compliance with the Party Wall Act.
While both party wall surveyors and structural engineers deal with construction-related matters, their roles differ. A party wall surveyor specializes in resolving disputes and managing issues related to party walls and boundaries, while a structural engineer focuses on the structural integrity and design of buildings.
Yes, party wall surveyors can provide advice on the potential implications of the proposed construction work. They assess the structural impact, potential risks, and compliance with building regulations, ensuring that the work is carried out safely and with minimal disruption to the neighboring properties.
A party wall award is typically valid indefinitely, meaning it remains in force until it is either superseded by a new award or modified through an agreement between the parties involved or by an application to the County Court.
If you disagree with the terms of a party wall award, you have the right to appeal to the County Court within 14 days of receiving the award. The court will then assess the validity of the award and determine if any modifications are necessary.

So much more than just drawings